Monday, August 24, 2009

Book Review from Sophia's Corner




Book Review: Alice in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll




As mentioned in a previous post, this section will be dedicated to reviewing Historical Fiction reads for children and young teens. As you can see though, for this first review we thought it would be fun to inaugurate our series with an imaginative and creative story of fictional kings and queens of the past…

This one happens to be perfectly suited for a young girl who is curiously intrigued by all that is imaginative and filled with royalty-just like my Sophia (who incidentally looks a lot like Alice…)

The story is divided in 10 chapters of approx 3-8 pages; easy English for readers ages 7-9; beautiful illustrations in every chapter. Perfect for read-along- or for parent to child reading.


The story of Alice in Wonderland begins with Alice sitting on the grass with her sister who is reading a book. Having herself nothing to read and being completely bored, Alice curiously follows a rabbit down a rabbit hole. Through this deep hole, Alice is led into a world filled with strange creatures and their unusual habits. Alice is amazed to discover that she can transform her size in order to fit in every strange situation to avoid danger or simply to go from place to place.

In this story you’ll meet quite a few special characters such as a Hatter, a mouse, a grinning cat, a rabbit, a Duchess and a Queen, as well as a deck of cards…

Sophia’s Review:

What I liked:

My favourite part of the book is when Alice talks about how her cat Dinah loves eating mice and birdies in front of the mouse and the birds. That was funny. I also liked the queen because she kept on repeating the same thing over and over. She was also funny and strange, just like the disappearing cat.


What I think: It was a really, really good book, and you should buy it.

Rating: 5 Castles!




Mom's thoughts:
This was an engaging read for my daughter and although I read most of it to her, she randomly chose to read full pages at a time to me as well. Her interest was constant throughout the book and there was a lot of giggling as she anticipated scenes and expected the inevitable …especially with the Queen’s line “Away with his head!” She seemed very taken by the illustrations which are incredibly detailed. I enjoyed reading this classic with Sophia:)

If you'd like to read the interview that Sophia and I did for the Book Chook Site, please go to: http://thebookchook.blogspot.com/search?q=Sophia

The Book Chook is also promoting the second free edition of Literacy Lava 2 Go check it out!



-

6 comments:

Maria Grazia said...

Lovely post.Kisses and hugs to Sophia and her mum!

Tea said...

Ooooooh Lucy, I love Alice in Wonderland. Your page is just too yummy and happy. This is great.

sallymandy said...

I loved your book review, Sophia. Keep reading...your mom has lots and lots of good books for you! Sallymandy

Arleigh said...

It's so great that Sophia is reading and doing book reviews. Please explain to Alannah that this is a fun pastime!

Did you know that Alice was a real little girl the author knew? I know all about Alice Liddell and the origins of this book. I used to work with a lady who was a fanatic and she told me all about it. She even went to the museum in England.

BookChook said...

I love this idea of two reviews for the price of one! Thank you both. And thanks too for helping spread the word about Literacy Lava!

Darlene said...

This is such a great feature Lucy. I love reading Sophia's thoughts on books. I'd also love to reread Alice in Wonderland. I love this story and it's been much too long since I've read it.