Tuesday, February 22, 2011

An Art Journal for my Book Reviews...

In 2010 I started a French Historical reading challenge over at my other blog: Enchanted by Josephine.  Consequently, one of my good blogger friends, Roberta, over at Con-tain-it started an art journal for book reviews.  So, one thing lead to the next and I started drawing and writing about the books I read based on French history.  I only managed to journal on 7 books - so if you  notice that I haven't journaled about the other great books I read it wasn't because I liked them less; it's the time that's lacking! 

So here is some of what I got down on paper...I loved doing this and so wished I had had the time to make moreso that I could include more of my favourite French historicals .  Thanks Roberta for this wonderful idea. I'll post more if I add some others.


I used mixed media:  acrylic paints, water colours, ink, gel, collage, marker, colored pencils, fabric...

The cover is made of toile de jouy, which I painted, stitched and bordered with crochet.


This first page is for Elena MariaVidal's The Night's dark Shade- loved her book about the Cathars (my review here)


This Heyer read was hillarious! (my review here)


 My absolute favourite new author for historical fiction, Christine Trent wrote The Queen's Dollmaker- loved it too (my review here)


Another one by Georgette Heyer (my review here)


What's not to love about an Elizabeth Chadwick novel?! (my review here)


A very different read indeed! Watermark, by Vanitha Sankaran (my review here)



A book that reads like a painting itself- a true landscape of colours for the literary: Claude and Camille, by Stephanie Cowell  (my review here)

9 comments:

lizzy J said...

OMG LUCY!!!!! IT IS TO DIE FOR! I LOVE it really it is so so so pretty an dI can not believe you and your talent. Really it is by far your best I have seen, I love the cover. I can not believe you and all of the mixed media. It is quite a mix and it works so so eloquently together. GREAT JOB, I LOVE it.

dolleygurl said...

I wish that I had an ounce of talent in me - honestly. I cannot draw people or anything that even looks like people to save my life. I can draw abstract things ok, but I'm not artsy. These are beautiful Lucy!

Roberta said...

Wow Lucy...you got more done in your journal than I sure did...lol Great job and so happy for you and how you must such a feeling of accomplishment!

Michelle @ The True Book Addict said...

You are ultra talented, Lucy! Gorgeous!

Ms. Lucy said...

Hey Lizzy- Thanks so much! I really love mixed media and find that it opens up your creativity with no boundaries:)

Thanks Heather! I think you are incredibly talented and artsy through your writing and reviewing- your blog always keeps me fascinated:)

Hi Roberta:) I actually don't feel I've accomplished as much as I would have liked though..but I agree it's still something! Can't wait to see some of yours too. Thanks!

Michelle, you're sweet- Thanks! I love art and history- that's all- I'm glad you enjoyed my stuff-Thanks!

Marie said...

These are all so well done and gorgeously portrayed! I am so glad you are able to extend your reading passion even past the book blogging hobby. How wonderful that you are able to have the artistic outlet as well!

Ms. Lucy said...

Thanks so much Marie:) Besides reading and research, art is definitely an outlet for this girl.

Ingrid Mida said...

What a gorgeous sketchbook Lucy. I am inspired and in awe.

Ms. Lucy said...

Thank you Ingrid! That means so much to me:)