Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Book Review: A ROYAL LIKENESS, by Christine Trent



Christine Trent has done it again!
She has written a delicious novel based on a fictional heroine whose life runs parallel to a real historical figure, in a real historical timeframe while using real historical facts. Not only that, once again like in her first novel, The Queen's Dollmaker,  I was highly entertained by this no-nonsense heroine.  In “A Royal Likeness”, Marguerite, is a gutsy, creative and talented lady with a thirst for adventure and curiosity to no end (Just love reading about these kinds of women).
Many of you will remember Marguerite as Claudette's niece  in Trent’s first novel, The Queen's Dollmaker. In this subsequent novel, Marguerite has now taken over the doll making business.  After a horrible tragedy (I won’t spoil it for you), Marguerite moves on to work for Madame Tussaud- Yes! The very own Madame Tussaud (who also happened to be a good friend of her aunt, Claudette, during the time of Marie-Antoinette- Read my review of the Queen’s Dollmaker here;)  There, she learns the art of making figures out of wax. But there is sooo much more to the story...
Throughout the book we meet several royal personages; we get a glimpse of Tussaud’s life and history; there’s an important historical battle; life on a war ship; mystery, tragedy, and, of course...love!
I found this book to be very entertaining with the right dose of history meshed in to keep pace with the time period; hence giving it the feeling it could have actually happened for real.  I find this author’s technique of paralleling her main heroine to history and historical figures without sacrificing the story she wants to write, especially refreshing.
 There are already innumerable books out there rehashing history with an interesting twist of fiction that are wonderful to read (hence our love for Historical fiction!)...Yet, Christine Trent stands out from the rest by crafting in her own style; one which hooks historical buffs by sustaining us with just enough historical immersion within the plot while fulfilling us with her own great story.  Bravo to this creative author with a deliciously original edge!
Christine Trent has definitely made her mark- In my opinion; I dare nickname her a modern-day Heyer!
 I Loved this book!

7 comments:

May said...

Very tantalizing review, Lucy!

Lucy said...

Thanks Matterhorn:) Glad you liked it- I think you'd enjoy this novel.

Laura at Library of Clean Reads said...

I totally agree that Trent has a way of bringing historical figures to life along with her own heroines. I also enjoyed this book!

Loretta said...

You have definitely peaked my interest. I will be putting this book on my "to read" list.

Christina T said...

I enjoyed The Queen's Dollmaker and I want to read this one almost as much as I want to read Madame Tussaud by Michelle Moran. It would be interesting to compare the two! Thanks for your review :)

BurtonReview said...

Now that I have read Madame Tussaud by Moran (*&Totally LOVED) I think I must put this on my wishlist! Great review, Lucy!

BlackBerry Hosted Exchange said...

Loved the review! Now will definitely read this book!